Saturday, June 23, 2007

Countdown to Summerfest!

Milwaukee's Summerfest claims to be the “World’s Largest Music Festival,” but it is also certainly among the most venerable music fests – this year celebrating its 40th year!

Phred, Malliman and I will be going to several nights of Summerfest this year – as we do most years. One of the dates I’m most excited about is July 5th featuring Ratdog, Umphreys McGee and Spoon (and a host of other good bands).

Summerfest includes popular music at the 23,000 person Marcus Amphitheater. But I’ve always preferred the “free shows” occurring at the other 10 permanent stages. The grounds offer a real good selection of food & beverage vendors – and includes craft beers, in addition to the ubiquitous Miller brands.

And it’s all set against the Lake Michigan shoreline and the downtown skyline, creating a fun, festive environment. Here’s a good map of the Summerfest grounds.

Bob Weir and Ratdog
I've been a fan of Weir's for 30 years – and a big fan ever since I had the good fortune to score front row seats for the Dead at the Uptown Theater in Chicago (17 Nov 1978) – They opened with a mind-blowing Shakedown, and my seats were right in front of Bobby. . . Needless to say, I paid a lot of attention to his playing at that show, and it gave me a huge appreciation for his rhythmic versatility and creativity. I have never listened to him or the Dead in the same way since.

Coincidentally Ratdog’s stop at Summerfest will be almost one year to the day since their appearance at last years festival. Hopefully this will become an annual tradition for the Dogs!


Ratdog will be on the Big Backyard stage at 8:30pm on Thursday, July 5th. I'm already getting excited, and I hope to see you there!

Here are photos from Ratdog’s performance at Summerfest 2006

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there is a review of the Spoon show at http://www.secondsupper.com/Music/Article.aspx?ArticleID=290