Monday, September 17, 2007

Neil Young - The Last American Hero


In my (as yet) futile search to get a pair of good tickets for the upcoming Neil Young Chrome Dreams II tour I came across these two phenomenal interview/articles from Rolling Stone Magazine [RS 193, August 14, 1975] & [RS 284, February 8, 1979]. These are a MUST READ for fans and followers of the legend and talk about his early years, getting to L.A./the Buffalo Springfield years, how Rust Never Sleeps got it's name, the story behind Tonight's The Night and other seminal Young albums from the 60's and 70's ... a few excerpts from the 1979 article:

"Punk music, New Wave. You call it what you want. It's rock & roll to me, it's still the basis of what's going on." - NY

"The music business is so big these days, I feel dwarfed by it. I mean, I put out a record and, you know, it does okay. Somebody like Foreigner or Boston, they come out with a record and sell ten times as many as I do. I think that's great. But I still feel like this . . . little guy." - NY

Neil's words from almost 30 years ago still hold their meaning!

Chrome Dreams II
, to be released in October this year is a collection of eight new and two classic Young songs. Recorded in the summer of 2006 in Northern California, musicians include Ben Keith (pedal steel guitar, dobro and other instruments), Ralph Molina (drums) and Rick Rosas (bass), who will all be performing in concert with Young. Neil plays two back-to-back nights at the Chicago Theater November 12 and 13.

Let's hope all the Indian gods and spirits are on my side in my quest to see Neil Young in Chicago! - malliman

No comments: